Friday, February 10, 2006

Irony and the lizard

"Don’t rubbish our wildlife", was the sticker placed on the back of his white beaten up sedan. Alongside the sticker text was a cartoon of a lizard that could be seen with his upper half caught in a soft-drink can left lying on the floor. “Littering fools!”, the greenies would cry! It struck a cord with me also, as I sat there in traffic disgusted at how our rubbish could harm innocent wildlife.

Then the irony of the situation kicked in. When the sedan took off as the traffic lights turned green, white smoke could be seen blowing out of his exhaust pipe. This continued as we travelled along together, until I lost him amongst traffic later on.

Yeah, preventing littering is great. But what about the gases from your car killing our ozone layer?

Nice one mate.

2 comments:

Miss Two said...

Asalaamu Alaikum,

Random question- are you seeing a lot of the hybrid electric cars there yet?

I have yet to actually own a car, and now I'm determined to make a hybrid my first (ok, or second) car purchase. Much more environment friendly. Plus ridiculously nice gas mileage.

peace
TwennyTwo

Minime said...

Wa alaikum salaam,

I'm not a car loving person so I don't think I'd know the difference between an electric cars or not if I saw one on the road!

We do have a growing number of "Smart" cars cruising around these days, though they are run on petrol I believe!