Monday, February 27, 2006

External appearances

I am sitting here wondering how much a person’s external appearance can affect their behaviour.

I know as a female who wears the hijab, there is never a moment where I forget that I am representing Islam. I am always ‘myself’ yet I am a lot more controlled in the way I speak in public, and more importantly, I make sure that my behaviour and actions are that which represent Islam. I enjoy breaking down stereotypes of Islam, showing how content I am with my faith, and educating people who are curious about learning more on why I am a practising Muslim and what our belief entails.

This topic was triggered off in my head because I noticed the difference in character of one of my colleagues. As an introverted tobacco smoker who seemed kind and thoughtful, he occasionally chatted to me, making small talk here and there. But then the chin ring came along. This tiny pointed metal device inserted into his chin has turned him into an introverted smoker with a “bad boy” attitude.

So, getting back to the topic at hand - has his external appearance affected his behaviour? I wonder whether he is simply going through a rough spot in his life and this is making him appear to be gloomier than usual. OR, whether his chin ring has made him believe he has to adjust his behaviour to suit some rebellious heavy-metal-loving-dungeon-living-weed-smoking-dragon type of profile.

Whatever is the case – only time will tell.

3 comments:

Barb Ess said...

Maybe his new aggressiveness is his way of dealing with any flack that might come his way b/c of the chin ring (which, btw: OUCH). Preemptive, ya know? Insha'Allah it will fade as he gets used to having one and people get used to seeing it on his face.

Minime said...

Yeah, he has calmed down now! Maybe it was just the negative comments he received initially because of the chin ring..but comments would have died down, as did his attitude.

khidar: I tried clicking into your profile and then blog...but it didn't work. I'm presuming that means u have hidden your blog (if that is even possible). I am not the most in-tune person when it comes to technology! Jezak Allah for your nice comments though :) Ameen. May Allah reward you with happiness in this life and in the next. Ameeeen! :D

Minime said...

I saw something strange on that dude's arm on Friday, which has made me think that his attitude has evolved because he has now entered some kinda cult!!

He had massive scratch marks up his arm now!! (alongside the chin ring hehe)