Thursday, September 22, 2005

Strangle your husband with it?

So the hijab (head scarf) tends to cause a bit of controversy it seems. Everyone has an opinion on it - even random women buying apples in our local fruit market.

About 3 years ago, I was buying fruit with my mum when an Australian lady said to my mum, "If I were you...I would get that head scarf and strangle my husband with it!". Yes, this random stranger felt the need to give my mum advice on how to handle her "oppressive" husband. She also knew the tips on how to get my mum locked up in jail. Over what? A husband, who in this lady's eyes was forcing my mum to cover her hair. Oh, the horror! The pain. One girrrrrrlfriend looking out for her fellow girlfriend! Well, yo, like lady...if you met my father, you wouldn't be saying that! My dad is the sweetest man on earth, and he would never have forced anything upon my mum. My mum seems to wear the pants in the relationship if anything! She chose to cover up as part of our religion.

I cannot believe how people can be so rude. Or, rather, maybe she thought she was being helpful?

I beg to differ.

No comments: